Physical Starlight and Atmosphere (PSA) is a Blender addon for advanced environmental lighting that provides high quality atmospherics and lighting, and visual consistency between every object in your scene. It can be installed as any other Blender addon.
Latest Physical Starlight and Atmosphere is supported by Blender 3.4+. Addon versions from v1.2 till 1.6.1 works on Blender 2.81 - 3.3.
"Physical Starlight and Atmopshere" is only available for purchase on Blendermarket or Gumroad. Get your latest version there.
- Download the "physical-starlight-atmosphere-[version here].zip" file.
- Open Blender.
- Go to Edit/Preferences.
- Choose "Add-ons" tab and press "Install..." button.
- Locate the .zip file and press "Install Add-on".
- You will see the newly installed add-on, enable it by checking the checkbox.
- Wait till it registers. Voila!
- Locate Physical Starlight and Atmosphere panel in Sidebar also called N Panel (You can also find addon panel in the World Properties). Click on the tab Atmosphere to reveal it.
- Enable addon by ticking the uppermost checkbox.
To see the sky, you have to be in "Rendered" Viewport Shading mode (click on the 4th sphere in the list up in the right corner of 3D viewport)
What happens when addon is being enabled/disabled?
- A couple of shader nodes are imported and dynamically added and connected to the currently active world. When you uncheck the Physical Atmosphere checkbox, these nodes will be removed.
- Sun lamp
Sarlight Sunis added. The Sun lamp is used as the main light source to cast shadows from the Sun. When you uncheck the Physical Atmosphere checkbox, if no active PSA instances are found in other worlds it will be removed.
There is no The One way to use this addon. That is why we encourage you to find the way
it works best for you. Addon preferences panel is located under
Edit > Preferences > Add-ons.
By default, the Atmosphere tab is in the sidebar of Blender 3D viewport (
N key) and "World Properties" tab in
Properties panel. Setting this to
false will hide the toolbar. Reveal panel by clicking on Atmosphere tab.
By default, Toolbar tab for Physical Starlight and Atmosphere is Atmosphere. It might be useful to rename it
to something shorter like
PSA to reduce space the tab is taking.
Use ACES color space
The Academy Color Encoding System1 (ACES) is a color image encoding system created by hundreds of industry professionals. ACES allows for a fully encompassing color accurate workflow, with seamless interchange of high quality motion picture images regardless of source.
Use real world physical values
By default, addon reduces
stars intensity values to get the feeling it just works, and you
don't have to modify extra parameter
Exposure in order to get realistic atmosphere. But very important part of this
addon is having real world physical values to support visual consistency.
Assets allow to store a snapshot of your customized atmosphere settings and return to it later or use already predefined presets provided by the addon.
To be able to use PSA predefined assets you have to use Blender version 3.0 and above.
- download assets.blend file
- in Blender go to Edit > Preferences and open File Paths tab
- Under Asset Libraries click + symbol and point to the folder where assets.blend file is located.
- Assign a name to this library
- In one of the Blender existing Areas open Data > Asset Browser
- Under the dropdown select a name you assigned to the library when importing assets.
- Select an asset and drop it in the view.